Many people think that they can lose excess fat in the legs or in any given area on the body without affecting other body's parts and that maybe if they just choose and perform the right exercise, they could lose the fat in just the leg or other area they want to lose it in.
The fact is there is no such thing as spot reduce or localized fat loss. Doing a specific exercise for a certain part of your body will develop the muscles of that particular body part. They will get stronger and probably grow bigger, but it won't do anything to get rid of the fat in the area. This is why people who have exercised extensively only get stronger but do not see much visual improvement since the excess fat is still covering the areas.
Fortunately, you still can follow some basic principles which are shared by almost everyone to gain faster and maximum results in your ways to lose fat in your legs. Let's learn more about how to lose leg fat and exercises to reduce leg fat.
Read also other interesting articles:
- Reduce Calf Size: 4 Easy Things You Can Do to Get A Beauty Sexy Legs
- Simple Moves for Slimmer Calves
- Slim Down Large Calf Muscle
- Train To Reduce Muscle Size
- Best Simple Exercises to Reduce Thighs Size Fast for Women
Why you can't spot reduce?
Some people would claim that the ways to lose leg fat and improve the look of your fat legs is simply to concentrate on lower body or leg exercises or use certain gadgets that will do the exercise for you. Again, you cannot spot reduce. The fat can not just come off on its own by just using a gadget, lotions, potions or simply doing that one leg exercise. Instead, genetics, diet and lifestyle has to do with it.
Doing lower body exercises such as a thousand leg lifts, calf raises or squats a day will only exhaust you but it will not burn leg fat. Your body will not burn the fats stored in that spot you are targeting. When you work on the fat legs or a certain area of your body, you're in fact toning the muscles in that area not burning them. Thus that certain area will probably become more muscular and leaner not skinnier. It's your body that decides which area of fat stores to be taken and used as energy.
With actual workouts, the fats are burned one at a time, and not just in one area. It has a more integrated system of reducing the fats in the whole body. When you start to gain body mass and your body fat begins to reduce, your fat legs or trouble spots will begin to shape up.
Additionally, when you want to lose leg fat or body fat, you must create a calorie deficit within your body. This means that you will have to consume less calories than you burn throughout the day.
Weight loss vs. fat loss
- To lose weight properly (burning fat) you must increase your metabolism (weight training) and your need for oxygen (aerobics) while eating enough calories each day (nutritious diet) to give you energy and maintain the protein in your muscles because protein helps build muscles, which indirectly burns fat.
- When you build muscle your weight will increase because your muscles are made up of mostly water, but your body fat percentage will decrease because building muscles increase your metabolism (in other words, muscles weight more than fat, but take up less space than fat).
When your body goes into fat burning mode, you may or may not notice more rapid fat loss in your legs or other “trouble spots”, but you are actually losing fat from your whole body, it can not select different areas to do it from.
How to lose leg fat with leg workout?
Although exercises that emphasize on leg workout are only effective to tone your leg muscles, you still should accommodate such exercises in your fat loss program if you are looking for ways to lose leg fat. You will need to include suitable diet and other workout routines, but these leg exercises will certainly help you to lose fat in your legs in time.
Here are some recommended exercises you can incorporate to lose leg fat:
- Calf raises exercise the muscles of your posterior legs and help to tone your legs. It can be performed with machine at the gym or with dumbbells at home.
- Running a couple of miles a day and a few times a week will shape your legs and eliminate cellulite in thighs. It also helps you to lose weight, stay in shape and improve body composition.
- Try kickboxing to tone your legs and butt as well as to reduce leg fat.
- Dancing helps to burn calories, improve stamina and lose fat in your legs.
- Skipping is a very efficient ways to lose leg fat and tone thighs, hips and calves.
- Cycling, especially in standing style to workout your legs better. Cycling also improves your fitness and cardiovascular health.
- Do some low weight squats to tone muscle and burn leg fat.
- If you're concern about adding too much muscle and bulk to your fat legs, you can try brisk walking and swimming instead of running or other more weight-bearing exercises.
Remember that while these exercises mainly emphasize on your leg, they are only effective at toning muscles rather than burning leg fat and fat will still be burn and lost evenly throughout your body.
To be successful, your leg fat loss program should include the following:
- Follow a calorie restrictive diet where you eat no less than 12x and no more than 15x your lean body weight in calories.
- Perform cardiovascular activity for at least 30-45 minutes 3-4 times per week. You can do it in a or a vigorous pace -- it doesn't really matter as long as you are exercising.
- Don't forget to include weight training to burn leg fat and body fat.
- Supplementing your diet with vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Vitamin C, L-glutamine, and a good multi-vitamin are the bare essentials.
- Adequate dietary fat, including high amounts of Essential Fatty Acids (Omega-6 and Omega-3).
- Monitor your progress regularly to find out if your fat loss program is working!
Again, if you want to lose leg fat, you'll have to lose it evenly throughout your entire body, not just your legs. Your legs might hold more fat than other body parts, but when you lose your overall body fat, you'll reduce leg fat too. It may occur last, but you'll get rid of fat legs and lose fat in your legs after a period of time (when there is no other fat stores to be burn). With all these points raised, the bottom line is to simply get healthy the proper way.